Feb 28, 2012

SSPP: User-Testing





THE FOCUS
Let me start off by saying that my final project does not follow the criteria put forward in the course curriculum for ARTG 480. I am not blatantly avoiding the milestones and preparatory work that needs to be completed, but my efforts and timeline are slightly different. And I'll tell you why.

I began working on my final project for ARTG 480 two years ago knowing that this would be my final academic project. I wanted to pursue something that would challenge my skills as a communicator of information. I dedicated myself for over a year to accumulate data on a day-to-day basis in order to create an understanding of my behaviors as an artist, designer, student, employee and individual. The results are intended to be definitive and detailed, based on fact instead of interpretation.

The major difference between this project and the course curriculum is that the deliverables of the Statistical Self-Portrait Project (SSPP) will be determined by the synthesis of the accumulated data and the application of user feedback. The series of diagrams within this post provide user feedback answers to questions intended to establish the SSPP deliverables.

THE OUTCOME
The user feedback has been helpful to establish how the results of my study should be presented, which uphold the integrity of the study and also my creative voice as an artist. Most importantly, the feedback has determined the most appropriate media, medium and aesthetic to communicate the project results. Initially I was intending to create a series of computer-generated info-graphics. This would be a suitable solution; however, the end result does not speak to my voice and style as an artist. To appease my creative soul I have decided to add traditional illustration to the series of info-graphics to create a hybrid style emphasizing personal style, interpretation and originality.

4 comments:

  1. Nice choice of topic for your project. I kind of wish I had done something more like this.

    That aside, I thought I'd point out that 3 of your 7 pie charts don't equal anything near 100%. I suspect this wasn't intentional but if it was then I'd suggest not filling in 100% of the circle, it's misleading graphically.

    The blue and orange work well together on the pie charts but I find the assorted rainbow of colors on the bar graphs somewhat difficult to look at for long.

    I'm looking for to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! Thanks Matt,
    I totally forgot to check the percentages of the graphs because I cut and paste a lot of the type. Good eye.

    The user-testing graphs and charts will not be a part of the final deliverables; however, there will be different info-graphics incorporated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Greg!

    I am so jealous of your choice of the topic. I am not brave enough to do that and most importantly I have no patient. I can't record my life day by day.

    And you have done a great job on user testing. and the charts are very easy to understand. I am looking forward to see your finished product.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Yue!

    I've also changed the graphs and charts to display the accurate information.

    ReplyDelete