Feb 29, 2012

SSPP: Aesthetic Approach


Through user-testing and consultation with faculty it has been determined that the visual aesthetic of my final project and accompanying collateral will be a hybrid of traditional illustration and computer-generated design. In the midst of deciding how to present the final information, I was consistently advised to use my illustrative background as a way to display a unique outlook on information-based graphics. More in particular, the way I develop concept and ideas using sketchbooks.

Creating a system of communication using the language of my sketchbooks is the most unique way to create an authentic product in regards to the SSPP. Using elements such as hand-drawn typography, loose portraiture and overlapping layouts will be a reflection of how I process information and make design-based decisions.
The final product will not necessarily look like the pages of my sketchbook; however, there will be a similar mood and energy reflected. The final product will look more or less like an editorial illustration--finished with paint and computer manipulation. The size of the display panel will allow myself to work large and spend a large portion of time painting like a traditional illustrator. This may actually be the largest illustration that I've ever attempted and I think this is the perfect way to end my time at VIU.

6 comments:

  1. I think conveying the information in an illustrated way will effectively give the project a more self-portrait feel. There are few things that are more self-portrait-ish than a sketchbook (even if you're just capturing that energy.) Good thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your drawing style. They overlapping of elements/contrast/and textures you are able to achieve with traditional tools is fantastic and refreshing.

    It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. Can't wait to see how you blend illustration and information. I'm having a hard time picturing it but I think that your purpose is clear and your reasoning sound. I appreciate the honest approach of truly looking deeper into self, habit, and motivation. he summary of your intention is definitely helpful.
    Good luck,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. The determination and dedication to the tracking of your life for this project is impressive just by itself. As I know a little bit about you "not a ton" I am biased to how I perceive your work because I know its who you are but I am really digging your treatment of it so far.

    -Erik

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Greg,

    That sounds like an incredibly difficult feat to accomplish, but with your illustration skills I think this will look pretty amazing. It truly will be a"reflection of how [you] process information and make design-based decisions." Do you have any ideas about the kind of post-production techniques you're going to employ?

    I'm excited to see the end result,

    -Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn man! Your illustration style is amazing! this is a Big project, but I can see the importance of it, since so much of our future careers rely on our ability to understand and market ourselves!

    ReplyDelete