Feb 17, 2012

SSPP: The Inspiration

During the summer of 2008 I was an intern at Generator Strategy Advertising and Design. At the time I was an Illustration student at Sheridan, so my primary responsibilities were illustrating and story-boarding. I didn't necessarily understand how I would fit in with the staff of designers, editors, account managers and administration. To my surprise I learned that every employee was expected to keep time sheets of their daily activities. I found this idea fascinating because I've always been interested in personal documentation; however, my previous experience included journaling, blogging and keeping a sketchbook.

Skip ahead three years later, and I have graduated from Sheridan's Illustration program and have moved out west to Vancouver Island, British Columbia to study Graphic Design at Vancouver Island University. Being a recent graduate and new student simultaneously made me feel very motivated to work. I began undertaking small personal projects to stimulate my creativity. At one point I remember being very self-aware of my current position in the grand scheme of my life and realized that I was stuck in an academic-like limbo for another two years. It was an unsettling feeling, so I thought I would brainstorm ways to make my time feel less petty and more significant. I began doing things like journaling, blogging and keeping a photo-journal that I dedicated myself to, but I found that my dedication was slowly dissipating. I was trying really hard to find something to dedicate myself to over a long period of time that would capture my interest. To satisfy my ego I needed to challenge myself in a way I have never done before.

I decided if I was going to make really good work and stand out from the crowd, then I needed to understand how to maximize my efforts. This realization led me to create a system of time tracking that would be implemented within my life for an entire year. The time sheets I once used as an intern would be the basis of the longest and most in- depth research that I have ever attempted.

From September 10, 2010 to September 9, 2011 I documented every activity I did during the year using a pictographic calendar. The study is named the Statistical Self-Portrait Project (SSPP) and its purpose is to provide statistical analysis of how I spent my time during the year of documentation. By doing this I will be able to understand my strengths and weaknesses, and how to apply myself in all aspects of my life to reach the highest possible standard of living.

2 comments:

  1. This project would drive me crazy, Greg! You've really persevered with this concept and I'll be really interested to see how it evolves. I also used to keep sketchbooks like yours, though less so since I became primarily a digital/tablet artist. Some of your sketches are really amazing and so I hope this creativity and talent translates in the final product. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gregory,

    How you always beat to your own drum :) I still have no idea what you're going with this project, but it's going to be one of a kind. I hoped to see some visuals... but with your description outlined with notebooks and sketches and illustrations, I'm still looking forward to it :) Wish I could be more help!

    - Jesslyn

    ReplyDelete